QEC - communities see ocean of opportunity in oil and gas!

MC Axel
QEC 06.10.2020 kl 21:00 30292

The thread was full and too much junk in it

"communities see ocean of opportunity in oil and gas

By Kerry Jothen on October 5, 2020No Comment

Editor’s note: Indigenous communities across Canada are learning how to prosper in a new era of co-operation in oil and gas development. Setting aside old grievances, industry, government and First Nations communities are working together to ensure that, as equal partners, Canada’s Indigenous peoples enjoy employment and sustainable growth trickles down to them.

In this unprecedented time of Indigenous rights and title, oil and gas companies recognizing that treating First Nations people as equal partners is a win-win that advances the cause of economic and social reconciliation.

Governments are attempting to facilitate development through economic, employment and business partnerships. This is particularly relevant in light of the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples, Canada’s Truth and Reconciliation Commission, and legal and other developments.

“It’s through economic development, economic reconciliation, that we’re going to find a path back to our true identities and revitalize our culture as Indigenous people,” says Crystal Smith, chief councillor for the Haisla First Nation in northwest British Columbia. She notes that Canada ranks ninth in the world when it comes to living standards but that falls to 63rd for on-reserve communities.

With this in mind, Indigenous communities across Canada are increasingly pursuing economic, employment and business partnerships with oil and gas companies. First Nations, the private sector and governments have shared and unique interests in this form of development.

According to a recent task force report, Indigenous communities increased their access to market capital for business and economic development by more than double, to $5.9 billion between 2003 and 2013. The report suggests Indigenous economic contributions to our gross domestic product (GDP) could reach $100 billion by 2023.

The opportunities are tantalizing.

“Indigenous-owned businesses are 40 times more likely to be involved in the mining and oil and gas sectors than the average Canadian business,” wrote Dale Swampy, president of the National Coalition of Chiefs In the Task Force for Real Jobs, Real Recovery final report. “The extractive sector hires twice as many Indigenous employees and pays on average twice as much in wages as other sectors.”

The main instrument for First Nations to participate in the resource economy has been through negotiated impact and benefit agreements, and similar instruments.

As historian Ken Coates suggests in a recent report, these agreements are driven by a duty to consult and accommodate. In addition, they contain four main components: financial payments to the First Nation; employment and training outcomes; special procurement and business development opportunities; and general assurances of First Nations’ participation in the oversight and monitoring of the resource activities.

Such agreements have been used by many major oil and gas companies and for major projects. For example:

Construction of the $6-billion Coastal GasLink project includes project agreements with all 20 First Nations along the pipeline route and $825 million in contracts to Indigenous and local businesses and First Nations employment opportunities.LNG Canada and Haisla Nation have a benefits agreement that has been lauded by the community and others. The LNG Canada project workforce included almost 10 per cent Indigenous people at the end of 2019, and it has facilitated various commercial joint ventures (e.g., module offloading facility with the multinational company Mammoet). The First Nations Group Limited Partnership consists of 16 First Nations along the Kitimat LNG Project and Pacific Trail Pipelines route and is a commercial partnership valued at more than $500 million. If this project moves forward, the First Nations involved will incur huge benefits and ownership opportunities.Trans Mountain Pipeline has signed 58 mutual benefit agreements and similar commercial agreements with Indigenous communities worth more than $500 million. It has provided training and hired more than 300 Indigenous people and contracts with many First Nations businesses and suppliers.

First Nations want to lead land and resource development. And they want to have an ownership stake in economic ventures to address community development, poverty and social needs. This ramps up First Nations’ economic and business opportunities and risks, and goes beyond the typical impact and benefits agreement.

Niilo Edwards, executive director of the First Nations Major Projects Coalition, notes three key advantages that equity in oil and gas development have over annual payments in traditional impact and benefits agreements:

Profits from ownership of equity are expected to be many times larger than annual payments that can be negotiated with industry.First Nations with equity will be in a better position as owners to influence the business decisions that impact them and their lands.Indigenous communities will have the opportunity to use the secured project revenue streams to gain financing for community infrastructure projects, like housing and water.

The first major development in Indigenous ownership in oil and gas was a 2017 agreement among Suncor and Fort McKay and Mikisew Cree First Nations. The two nations jointly purchased a 49 per cent stake in Suncor’s East Tank Farm for $503 million.

There are other examples of First Nations equity stakes in energy projects and many more in the works (e.g. Eagle Spirit Pipeline, Churchill pipeline, Woodfibre LNG). A smaller recent energy-related example is Ridley Terminals Inc., which the federal government sold in 2019. In the transaction, the Lax Kw’alaams Band and Metlakatla First Nation obtained a 10 per cent equity share.

In another recent Coastal GasLink project, company owner TC Energy announced it had allocated a 10 per cent equity stake for First Nations. The coalition brought together 13 First Nations investors who want to own up to 30 per cent of the value of the pipeline. A deal could be reached in coming months.

The Trans Mountain expansion project has at least two Indigenous groups proposing to purchase ownership of a portion of the pipeline. Project Reconciliation, an Indigenous-led group, is pursuing majority ownership of the project through an Indigenous sovereign wealth fund. And the Iron Coalition led by the Assembly of Treaty Chiefs also seeks an equity stake, intending to purchase between half and all of the project post-construction.

Yet there are still challenges.

As Ellis Ross, Skeena, B.C., MLA and former chief councillor of the Haisla Nation, said: “Many First Nations do not have the governance continuity or corporate memory in pursuing protracted negotiations on complicated revenue sharing and project equity stakes with resource companies.”

Ross said “equity” means a lot of responsibility, risks, long-term commitments and First Nations leadership meaningfully engaging with its community.

Lawyer Douglas Eyford, who has been involved in project development negotiations for several years, said there are obstacles to increased Indigenous participation in infrastructure development. Those include access to capital, capacity challenges with some Indigenous communities and territorial disputes among Indigenous groups.

Barry Nikal, former chief councillor of the Moricetown Indian Band (now Witset First Nation) for two terms and a Wet’suwet’en hereditary chief, has negotiated agreements on the Pacific Trails and Coastal GasLink pipelines.

“We need a cohesive approach when companies and governments are negotiating agreements with First Nations,” he says.

Nikal stresses the importance of working with groups of First Nations on revenue sharing and other benefits in a holistic approach, rather than “cutting individual deals that can pit communities in competition with one another for partners and contracts.”

Edwards of the First Nations Major Projects Coalition said there are additional challenges: “a lack of Indigenous at-risk capital and scarce resources at the community level for legal and financial experience to manage complicated transactions.”

The federal Indian Act limits First Nations’ access to capital through commercial loans and private investments, and their ability to use assets as collateral for borrowing and obtaining low-interest rates.

Indigenous groups, such as the First Nations Major Projects Coalition, are calling for changes to the act. They want creative financing programs from government and more support to the First Nations Finance Authority, which has provided more than $600 million in loans at low interest rates and other financial support to Indigenous communities.

For Crystal Smith and her community, being part of one of Canada’s largest commercial developments – LNG Canada – is a key part of their drive to ensure sustainable financial independence from governments.

If Canada’s growth in oil and gas development is supported, First Nations will realize long-term economic and social benefits.

Kerry Jothen, BA, MA, is principal of Human Capital Strategies and has 42 years of experience in human capital roles. HCS is one of the longest-standing independent strategic planning, workforce research and strategy development consultancies in B.C."

https://troymedia.com/business/indigenous-communities-see-ocean-of-opportunity-in-oil-and-gas/#.X3sj8DPnswA

Redigert 21.01.2021 kl 09:28 Du må logge inn for å svare
panamajack
08.10.2020 kl 15:02 4870

I artiklen står at Canada levere 97 % af deres flydende brændsel til USA. Der er måske ikke behov for at levere til andre nationer med flydende brændsel? Fakta er at en del af regionerne har arbejdsløshed og har underskud på finanserne og samtidig får udligning fra bedre stillede regioner. Vil det så ikke være i sin ret, at man tager " guldet " ud af pengeskabet og veksler det gangbar mønt, for at holde samfundet oppe.
Redigert 20.01.2021 kl 23:32 Du må logge inn for å svare
Jensi
08.10.2020 kl 15:22 4833

Der er bare SÅ MANGE RØDE Inbdlæg !
Slettet bruker
08.10.2020 kl 16:00 4801

Det er imponerende at 97% av produksjonen går til USA. Er det noe problem forbundet med det siden du skriver at "Der er måske ikke behov for at levere til andre nationer med flydende brændsel?" Det står forresten ingenting i artikkelen om hvor de resterende 3 prosentene går. Ganske enkelt fordi 3% ikke er like viktig som 97%.
Slettet bruker
08.10.2020 kl 16:14 4797

Det lugter af dommedag for nogle herinde 🤣👏
panamajack
08.10.2020 kl 16:14 4794

Så forstår ikke hvorfor Quebecs udgiftklokken kører med den hastighed, som om det var et rallye. Hvis der er fuld beskæftigelse i Quebec, så er der vel ingen grund til at der bliver udlignet fra andre regioner.
Jeg tror du kender Quebecs udgiftsklokke:
https://www.debtclock.ca/provincial-debtclocks/quebec/
Hvem betaler? og er det ikke på sin plads ,at hvis der er mulighed for det, er at klare sig selv, uanset hvad andre regioner kunne bidrage med.
M&M: Mål og midler, målet må være at regionen skaber arbejdspladser, så regionen kan klare sig selv og midlet er at .øge udbudet af arbejdspladser bl.a.udvinding af skifergas.
Håber det gav dig et rimeligt svar.
Slettet bruker
08.10.2020 kl 16:29 4756

Spot on 👍 men du taler for døve øre mht. PU, som sikkert kommer med et svar, som drejer det over i egen agenda 😉😷
Slettet bruker
08.10.2020 kl 16:33 4744

Panamajack
Man skaper ikke nye arbeidsplasser i en næring hvor status quo er produksjonskkutt og full nedbemanning og subsidiering fra myndighetene. Din bekymring er nok likevel en smule overdrevet. Det har vist seg at Quebec i de siste 5 årene har vært så dyktige til å investere ( blant annet utjevningspengene) at provinsen er blitt den som mest økonomisk blomstrende i Canada. Ingen annen provins i Canada kan vise til en tilsvarende økonomisk vekst i de siste årene. Quebec er også den eneste provinsen som i 5 år på rad har klart å nedbetale gjeld. Jeg kan gi deg linker hvis ønskelig. Situasjonen er likevel ikke helt på stell for Quebec selv om de har kommet godt stykke videre og det er håp i hengende snøre. Men hvis det hadde vært tegn på at vinden blåser i favør av skiferutvinning, så ville ganske sikkert Qec kursen vært noen kroner høyere enn hva den er i dag.
Jensi
08.10.2020 kl 16:35 4741

ALLE Udgiftsklokker kører med UNDERSKUD !!!!! der er INGEN Regioner som betaler, alle skubber gælden foran sig !
panamajack
08.10.2020 kl 16:45 4726

Ja, det har du sikkert ret i men hvis vender den om, og siger at de 97 % (levere samme mængde) med øget produktion er blevet de 3% (nu 97%) og de 97 % (hvis der findes så flydende brændsel i Canada) er leveret til andre nationer, hvor ere den canadiske national økonomi så henne ( det nye Norge)?

Det faldt mig ind, hvordan jeg skulle forklare det med at klare sig selv, kom jeg på dette her.

Du kan ikke betale dine udgifter, hvad gør du?
Sælger du din SUV?
Sælger du Teslaen?
Sælger du Konens SUV?
Sælger du konen?

Eller
Shorter du naboens Tesla

Noget må man gøre for at betale sine udgifter.

Slettet bruker
08.10.2020 kl 17:13 4721

Mitt forrige innlegg ble så omredigert etter en tenkepause at jeg rykker det inn på nytt. Håper du unnskylder meg.

Man skaper ikke nye arbeidsplasser i en næring hvor status quo er produksjonskkutt og full nedbemanning og subsidiering fra myndighetene. Din bekymring er nok likevel en smule overdrevet. Det har vist seg at Quebec i de siste 5 årene har vært så dyktige til å investere ( blant annet utjevningspengene) at provinsen er blitt den økonomisk mest blomstrende i Canada. Ingen annen provins i Canada kan vise til en tilsvarende økonomisk vekst i de siste årene. Quebec er også den eneste provinsen som i 5 regnskapsår på rad har klart å nedbetale gjeld. Jeg kan gi deg linker hvis ønskelig. I en av linkene går en anerkjent bank god for Quebecs økonomi. Situasjonen er likevel ikke helt på stell for Quebec selv om de har kommet et godt stykke videre, og det er håp i hengende snøre. Men hvis det hadde vært tegn på at vinden blåser i favør av skiferutvinning i Quebec, ville ganske sikkert Qec kursen bare på forventninger vært noen kroner høyere enn hva den er i dag.
Slettet bruker
08.10.2020 kl 17:24 4683

Det kommer jo an hvem du er.
Quebec har i mange år gått med underskudd og har hatt en begredelig økonomi til tross for utjevningspengene. Men i de siste 5 årene har Quebec ifølge de samme analytikerne som tidligere dømte økonomien ned og hjem, utrettet et lite økonomisk mirakel og klart å snu sin begredelige økonomi til den mest blomstrende økonomien av samtlige provinser i Canada. Ingen annen provins har hatt en tilsvarene vekst, og ingen annen provins har i 5 regnskapsår på rad betalt avdrag på gjelda si. Kan fortsatt skaffe deg linker om ikke omgående. I en av linkene går som nevnt en anerkjent bank god for Quebecs økonomi. 

NB
Jensis kommentar om at "der er INGEN Regioner som betaler, alle skubber gælden," er feil. Unntagelsen er Quebec. Også dette kan jeg dokumentere fra nøytralt hold med link.
Slettet bruker
08.10.2020 kl 18:03 4583

Mitt siste råd til deg er at du bør snu fokuset fra Canada til Quebec. Quebec og øvrige Canada kan ikke sammenlignes. Så har da også Quebec ved 2 anledninger prøvd løsrive seg fra Canada. Les Wikipedia.
XL2016
08.10.2020 kl 18:29 4538

Kanskje det går troll i ord; at Quebec blir selvforsynt med Clean tech gass og olje , til både provins og LNG anlegg.
De er jo kjent for å bry seg mest om sin egen butikk, på tilførte utjevningspenger ( som kanskje opphører ).

Men tenker de blir med å bidra med ressursene til landets ve og vel i Covid 19 krisen, som nå rammer hele nasjonen i reiseliv, helsevesen og næringslivet generelt ( privat og offentlig ).
Slettet bruker
08.10.2020 kl 19:21 4445

panamajack skrev Tak, Jensi.
For å avkrefte Jensis påstand her og nå på strak arm om at "der er INGEN Regioner som betaler, alle skubber gælden.."
Unntagelsen er Quebec!

Quebec is the only province that has actually reduced debt in the past six fiscal years, a “remarkable accomplishment,” Rishi Sondi, an economist at Toronto-Dominion Bank, said in a report published July 3.
(Linken kommer)

Utdrag fra
https://business.financialpost.com/news/economy/why-quebecs-economy-is-enjoying-its-best-boom-ever-despite-the-fall-of-bombardier-and-snc?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1565614775…
Slettet bruker
08.10.2020 kl 19:49 4393

XL2016 glemte tilfeldigvis oljeindustrien som kanskje er hardest rammet og som utvilsomtl har vært mer i fokus enn de øvrige næringene som listes opp.
Slettet bruker
08.10.2020 kl 19:58 4355

D
Det har jeg allerede nevnt.
Sitat. "Situasjonen er likevel ikke helt på stell for Quebec selv om de har kommet et godt stykke videre og det er håp i hengende snøre."
En næring hvor status quo er produksjonskkutt og full nedbemanning og subsidiering fra myndighetene kan umulig være en økonomisk gangbar løsning for Quebec. Men hvis det hadde vært tegn i Quebec på at vinden blåser i favør av skiferutvinning, så ville ganske sikkert Qec kursen vært noen kroner høyere enn hva den er i dag"
Nsxnsx
08.10.2020 kl 20:05 4340

Litt tålmodighet så har vi de kronene PU 👍

At ikke du blir med å tar din del ? Du vil ikke angre, og du kommer til å bli en positiv person. Bli med da vel :) du er velkommen som aksjonær 😉
tuja
08.10.2020 kl 20:06 4342

De sliter "big time". Energisektoren kan bli redningen.
Slettet bruker
08.10.2020 kl 20:10 4327

Energisektoren kan bli redningen?
Det er ikke bare, bare å blokkere meg som Tuja gjør.
Slettet bruker
08.10.2020 kl 20:45 4222

Jeg må innrømme at jeg er spesielt skeptisk nå for tiden siden hele sentimentet sliter, og Binnion har uttalt at selskapet er likvid inn i nærmeste fremtid.
panamajack
08.10.2020 kl 23:43 3991

PU tak for din iver for at give input. Fra Montreal GAzette linket Fra Domus indlæg. taget ud af en sammenhænge:

Quebec har brændt igennem sin stabiliseringsfond på 14,9 milliarder dollars til nødsituationer, hvilket betyder, at de penge, det bruger på COVID-19, går direkte videre til underskuddet, der føjes til Quebecs samlede gæld. Gælden vil stige med 22,9 mia. $ For en ny total på 222 mia. $.

Det er vist plads til forbedringer.
Slettet bruker
09.10.2020 kl 03:07 3886

Ikke bruk tid på Québec for det er historie, konsentrer dere om montney for det er der fortjenesten ligger, kanskje de klarer å øke med et par tønner ekstra til neste år...
Slettet bruker
09.10.2020 kl 06:24 3820

Tak Domus for dette link, som igen udstiller PU 👏
renai
09.10.2020 kl 08:00 3717

Mange nye metoder, til at skaffe pengar, til sine børs Æventyr...:
Mye gjeld.
Aksje grejer faller i dybet. ( Og dem kan man derfor ikke selge ud af)

Jeg troa, jeg velge at trekke lidt på kasse kreditten.
Men det interessante set med QEC øjner er da.:

Hvad gør man når kasse kreditten er gået i dass.?
Du har da kun en chance tilbage.
Og det er at trekke ind en ny gjeld, til højere rente, uanset..
Det vil sige hvis du kan gå på lånemarked, eller andet sted og øke gjelden din.

Jeg var selv helt derude, hvor der ikke var mere låntagning.
Da gik jeg til pante lån, og satsede Rolexxen min.

Vikingen
09.10.2020 kl 08:26 3664

Det er en mærkelig stilhed omkring emnet olie/gas - både fra de politiker der kan gøre noget og fra QEC.
Tør man tro på, at det er for ikke at skabe for meget debat inden man lukker op for det?

Jeg håber - så går QEC til himmels :-)
Slettet bruker
09.10.2020 kl 08:27 3663

Panamajack
Nå er det jo engang slik at at økonomisk fremgang måles i økonomisk vekst. Her ligger Quebec i teten som du sikkert har fått med deg av linken jeg la ut. Der fremgikk det også at Quebec er den eneste provinsen i Canada som har klart å nedbetale gjeld i de siste 6 årene!

https://business.financialpost.com/news/economy/why-quebecs-economy-is-enjoying-its-best-boom-ever-despite-the-fall-of-bombardier-and-snc?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1565614775…

Teksttillegg
Før Domus skrev jeg i mitt i innlegg at ikke alt helt er på stell i Quebec selv om de har økonomisk vekst og færre økonomiske problemer enn andre provinser ifølge min link og andre som jeg kan legge ut. Men er det jo også en gang slik at Quebecs utgiftsside neppe lar seg kompensere ved å åpne opp for en næring som sliter med nedbemanning og produksjonskutt og som dessuten må subsidieres. Heldigvis for Quebec har de holdt seg klokelig unna og vil fortsatt gjøre det slik jeg ser det. At den økonomiske utviklingen i Quebec de siste årene blir betegnet som et lite økonomisk mirakel, indikerer at provinsen er på rett spor selv om det ikke passer lommeboka til Qec aksjonærene.

Det er også blitt uttrykt bekymring for Quebec arbeidsløshet og mangel på arbeidsplasser. Fra linken:

"Among the Big Four provinces, Quebec alone recorded an increase in employment in July, StatCan reported on Aug. 9. The province’s unemployment rate in July,  and for the third time in four months, was 4.9 per cent, the lowest in a database that dates to 1976. The Canadian rate was 5.7 per cent"

09.10.2020 kl 09:58 3526

prisen på olie bliver den første store kurs opgang olien stiger nu igen idag, jeg tror at vi rammer 55 dollar inden for den næste måned, og dermed tror jeg at kursen kommer op i 1,5
Vikingen
09.10.2020 kl 10:10 3507

Hvis du har fulgt med i QEC og det ved jeg du har - så har olieprisen historisk set ikke påvirket QEC ret meget.
Vi mangler en rigtig positiv nyhed fra QEC eller regeringen inden der rigtig sker noget - blot min mening.
Barneskirenn
09.10.2020 kl 10:38 3442

HVIS det skulle komme positivitet i QEC's favør, vil kursen gå fort oppover. Det kan ingen si noe på.
Men, da er det dette "hvis", og det blir spennende fremover.
XL2016
09.10.2020 kl 13:12 3306

Spennende om det nå blir helt rent å sprekke opp skifer .,,

Om pilot kommer er nok Schlumberger oppdatert på det meste.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/342585510_Experimental_Investigation_and_Performance_Evaluation_of_Modified_Viscoelastic_Surfactant_VES_as_a_New_Thickening_Fracturing_Fluid
MC Axel
09.10.2020 kl 19:27 3123

"NATURAL GAS NEWSCANADA'S UPSTREAM SEEKS TO DEFINE ITS ESG BRANDOct 9, 2020 9:05:am

SUMMARY

Amidst the din of anti-fossil fuel protests from coast to coast to coast, Canadian gas producers are intent on proving the sustainability of their product.

BY: SHAUN POLCZER

Wines and cheeses enjoy protection from competition from cheap substitutes: labels identify their region of origin. Food that is organically reared is similarly marked as such to reward the farmer’s extra costs.

Why can’t this method be extended to energy products and specifically, natural gas and crude oil? Such a designation would go a long way to meeting consumer demands for low carbon fuels while articulating specific metrics to show it has been ethically and sustainably produced.

This is why Canadian industry leaders are working toward a designation based on environmental, social and governance (ESG) principles which would simultaneously allow consumers to make informed buying decisions while promoting the virtues of domestically sourced producers. Such a designation would also go a long way to dispel the established narrative – especially, but not limited, to oil sands – that Canadian energy is some of the dirtiest and most damaging to the planet.

Convincing consumers

Opening Natural Gas World’s Canadian Gas Dialogues (CGD) webinar series in mid-September, private energy fund manager Mac Van Wielingen said it was important for the energy industry to reach out to what he termed “anonymous consumers” to build relationships.

Van Wielingen is a founder and partner of Calgary-based ARC Financial, a private capital firm devoted to investing in all aspects of the Canadian energy sector. He was previously chairman and CEO of ARC Resources, an affiliated upstream producer, and has advocated extensively for Canadian energy in Ottawa as well as provincial capitals such as Edmonton.

Van Wielingen said Canada has several environmental and social advantages that may be used to press the advantages of Canadian energy resources at home and abroad, as the country seeks out new export markets, especially for LNG.

Canada consistently ranks high on the United Nations’ social development rankings for human rights, rule of law, worker safety and environmental protection – although the latter has been challenged by so-called dirty oil activists opposed to oil sands development. He agrees the oil sands in particular has tarred the whole Canadian energy industry with the same brush.

Defining ESG

What would a ‘country of origin’ label for natural gas look like, and what would it comprise, specifically with respect to energy? “These are things that aren’t easily quantifiable”, Van Wielingen said in a subsequent interview with NGW.

Although he supports the concept of a “Canadian brand”, he said he’s still not sure what that would entail or how it could be applied within a broader “green energy shift” and transition to lower carbon fuels as espoused by prime minister Justin Trudeau as the country recovers from the Covid-19 crisis.

Likewise, Bryan Cox, CEO of the Canadian LNG Alliance, agreed in a later CGD webinar examining ESG that the concept is “ill-defined” despite broad agreement that it is essential to moving forward. “How do we define ESG in a way that can be measured?”

The lack of a definition hasn’t stopped Canadian producers and like-minded environmental groups from trying. Chris Severson-Baker, a regional director with the Alberta-based Pembina Institute, said his group has been approaching domestic as well as US oil and gas producers to sign up to an emerging clean energy standard which can help distinguish energy products in the marketplace.

In February, Calgary-based Seven Generations Energy and Quebec’s main natural gas distributor, Energir, entered into a natural gas supply agreement governed by the EO100™ Standard for Responsible Energy Development. Globally, this is the first transaction executed under the EO100™ framework, which Severson-Baker said establishes a new standard for transparency across the value chain.

Developed by Energir as a means to provide a better understanding of the product it purchases and distributes in order to ultimately reduce its environmental foot-print, this natural gas procurement initiative aims to promote business partnerships with likeminded producers through public disclosure of relevant operational information and ESG best practices. Energir aims to have about a fifth of its system gas purchases dedicated to this initiative in the first year.

Severson-Baker said Pembina hopes to have at least four other Canadian and US producers signed on by the end of 2020.

The initiative is also significant for Pembina, which has been a frequent critic of federal and provincial environmental policies and presents a more pragmatic, non-confrontational approach on the part of environmental activist groups.

Seven Generations has also proven to be an industry leader with respect to partnerships with Canada’s indigenous community – its name refers to an ancient Iroquois principle which holds that decisions made today should result in a sustainable world seven generations into the future.

Severson-Baker said the partnership acknowledges that Canada is making progress on emissions while “embracing ESG and climate leadership”.

LNG Canada, the 14mn mt/yr export terminal now under construction on BC’s northern coast, embraces the same principles as well as the co-operation with indigenous communities espoused by Seven Generations.

Susannah Pierce, LNG Canada’s director of corporate affairs, said the project has pumped more than C$2.2bn (US$1.6bn) into native-owned companies and communities as part of a broader reconciliation effort to distribute the economic and social benefits evenly.

First Nations support is increasingly important for any new energy project in Canada given the Supreme Court’s recent rulings on native consultation.

But many critics of the Canadian industry – especially those involved in First Nations issue – are of the mind that any effort on the part of producers or their supporters to bring strong ESG principles, including reconciliation, to the table, are merely paying lip service to those ideals: they talk the talk, but they don’t walk the walk.

“This isn’t Polly Anna”, insisted Cody Battershill, who founded canadaaction.ca to combat misinformation about the oil sands spread by anti-oil activists. The movement has since expanded to advocate for all Canada’s natural resources, from natural gas and LNG to forestry products.

In North America, Polly Anna is synonymous with an irrationally rosy view of the world. And indeed, canadaaction.ca has been criticised by some environmental groups – including Pembina – for having no substance and being a cheerleader for the opposition Conservative Party, which has consistently vowed to rip up Canada’s signature on the Paris Accord if it is elected Canada’s next government.

Despite the seeming show of unity surrounding Canada’s ESG record, ESG panel members expressed wide-ranging consternation with government policies they say unfairly discriminate against the energy industry and make it more difficult to meet environmental goals.

Unfortunately, Canada’s fractured federation and fragile national unity pits energy producing regions in the western provinces of Alberta, BC and Saskatchewan against the major population centres and consuming regions of Ontario and Quebec. Reducing emissions is often seen as an all-or-nothing proposition which will ultimately result in discriminatory policies against the western regions – such as carbon taxes and clean fuel standards – for purely political reasons.

Resources not a priority

Van Wielingen in particular said he has spoken directly with Trudeau and his key advisors about those concerns but has come away frustrated by their response. He wants another ‘E’ tacked onto ‘ESG’ to represent “economics” to emphasise the business case for environmental best practices, but the power base in Ottawa has so far been unimpressed by his arguments.

“I don’t think I’ll ever be invited back to the PMO (Prime Minister’s Office)”, he quipped. “Ultimately it becomes a political question. Governments need to say, ‘don’t be afraid to say we’re pro-business and pro-investment’”.

A Speech from the Throne on September 23 to reopen parliament did little to assuage those concerns. Although it said incentives were coming for manufacturing electric vehicles in Ontario, it failed to mention the western Canadian energy industry even once in more than 7,000 words of copy read aloud by governor general Julie Payette.

On the flip side, it also failed to provide any mention of a proposed C$100bn green shift – Canada’s equivalent of the US Green New Deal and the EU’s Green Deal – which would impose harsh new caps on emissions that would ultimately decimate the fossil fuel industry.

Van Wielingen agreed that any such restructuring of the Canadian economy is impossible without the participation and co-operation of energy producers, especially as the country recovers from Covid-19.

He also spoke of “materiality” given that climate change is a global problem. While slashing Canada’s emissions to net zero by 2050 is a worthy goal, he said it would have little impact on global emissions as a whole.

Instead, he argued the federal government should be working to increase exports of cleaner Canadian natural gas to other countries – particularly China – to displace coal-fired power generation. Likewise, exports of Canadian technology would go further towards materially reducing emissions on a global scale.

But impressing that global need on the minds of the Canadian public is a matter of cutting through the misinformation and half-truths spread by social media and aimed at dividing opinion.
MC Axel
09.10.2020 kl 19:28 3123

...."Michael Cleland, chair of Positive Energy and director of the University of Ottawa’s Institute for Science, Society and Policy, said overcoming the polarisation between “the shouting classes” of environmental activists, who dominate the debate, policy makers, energy producers and consumers – who will eventually foot the bill for any green shift – will be key to restoring confidence in Canada’s regulatory systems and meeting climate change goals.

“How does ESG contribute to workable policy decisions? We’ve been waiting 20 years for a Canadian energy and climate policy…ad hoc solutions aren’t working”."

https://www.naturalgasworld.com/canadas-upstream-seeks-esg-brand-82492
Slettet bruker
09.10.2020 kl 20:30 3068

Axel
Kan du ikke i det minste prøve å finne artikler med relevanse til Qec og Quebec? It would be most appreciated!
panamajack
20.10.2020 kl 21:55 2545

Jeg undres over, at Quebecs government forbyder udvinding af gas ( fracking) og satser på vandkraft. Alligevel har de nyt anlæg til gas på tegnebrættet, hvor sidste høring er den 26.oktober 2020. Der bliver endeligt taget stilling til om projektet bliver til noget i januar 2021.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/quebec-government-approval-energie-saguenay-natural-gas-1.5736947
Der er sikkert en skribent, der allerede har lagt dette link i forum.
MC Axel
15.11.2020 kl 16:16 2057

This is still current
Slettet bruker
15.11.2020 kl 16:22 2047

Men gassen kommer fra Alberta.