RECSI - Department of Commerce initiates AD/CVD investigation

manman01
RECSI 28.03.2022 kl 19:31 45367

BREAKING: Dept. of Commerce to move forward with solar anticircumvention investigation
https://pv-magazine-usa.com/2022/03/28/breaking-dept-of-commerce-to-move-forward-with-solar-anticircumvention-investigation/
MARCH 28, 2022
"
The Department of Commerce (DOC) has decided to act on a petition filed by California-based solar module manufacturer Auxin Solar requesting that DOC review solar panel imports from Chinese companies working in Cambodia, Malaysia, Thailand and Vietnam, announcing that it is launching an antidumping investigation into those companies.

Auxin’s petition alleges that solar cell and module manufacturers in Malaysia, Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam are using parts produced by Chinese companies, as a way to keep production cheap, while also skirting existing antidumping and countervailing (AD/CV) tariffs on Chinese goods, which have been in place since 2012.

In response to the decision, Auxin Solar released the following statement:

“For years, Chinese solar producers have refused to fairly price their products in the U.S. and have gone to significant lengths to continue undercutting American manufacturers and workers by establishing circumventing operations in countries not covered by those duties. We are grateful Commerce officials recognized the need to investigate this pervasive backdoor dumping and how it continues to injure American solar producers. Fair trade and enforcement of our trade laws are essential to rebuilding the American solar supply chain and making Solar in America again.”
"

________

Commerce Department Decision Imperils U.S. Clean Energy Progress
https://www.seia.org/news/commerce-department-decision-imperils-us-clean-energy-progress
MARCH 28, 2022

“The solar industry is still reeling from a similar tariff petition that surfaced last year. The mere threat of tariffs altered the industry’s growth trajectory and is one of the reasons why we’re now expecting a 19% decline in near-term solar forecasts. Taking up this case will have a chilling effect on the solar industry.

“Today’s decision responds to the self-interests of one company and will lead to more market volatility and job losses. Additional tariffs will cause the loss of 70,000 American jobs, including 11,000 manufacturing jobs. According to Wood Mackenzie, solar deployment will crater by 16 Gigawatts annually if tariffs are imposed. That’s two-thirds of all the solar energy installed last year. And over the next four years, U.S. carbon emissions will increase by 61 million metric tons.

________

Commerce Department kicks off 1-year solar tariff investigation on panels imported from Southeast Asia
https://www.utilitydive.com/news/commerce-department-kicks-off-1-year-solar-tariff-investigation-on-panels-i/621153/
MARCH 29, 2022
“..
The Department of Commerce decision is expected on Jan. 26, 2023, with a possible extension to April 1, 2023. It will present preliminary findings of the investigation on Aug. 30, including a preliminary duty rate. The secretary of commerce will be able to apply any final duties retroactively to Nov. 4, 2021.
..”

________
US weighs solar tariffs, unsettling industry
https://www.argusmedia.com/en/news/2316768-us-weighs-solar-tariffs-unsettling-industry
MARCH 30, 2022
"
Commerce secretary Gina Raimondo would be able to apply any duties retroactively, to as far back as November 2021, according CEA. Suppliers have indicated they may stop shipments from the countries in question until the agency issues its final ruling, expected in the first part of 2023.

Module suppliers in countries that were not named in the investigation will "likely" raise prices in response, CEA said. Some countries with established suppliers — including Canada, Germany, Mexico and South Korea — are geared to manufacture products for smaller, distributed solar projects, not utility-scale systems.
"

Biden energy chief voices ‘deep concern’ about tariff impact on US solar goals
https://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/3470388-granholm-voices-deep-concern-about-potential-tariff-impact-on-solar-goals/
APRIL 28, 2022
________

Antidumping and Countervailing Duties (AD/CVD) Frequently Asked Questions
https://www.cbp.gov/trade/priority-issues/adcvd/antidumping-and-countervailing-duties-adcvd-frequently-asked-questions
________

Mere info i denne låste tråd
OBS: dette er gammel info om tidligere lignende petition fra A-SMACC. Som der skrives i artiklen fra pvmagazine
"The difference in the Auxin petition is that, instead of focusing on specific yet unnamed companies, Auxin is asking for a review of entire countries."
https://finansavisen.no/forum/thread/141215/view
Redigert 29.04.2022 kl 10:27 Du må logge inn for å svare
manman01
30.03.2022 kl 15:40 11498

Jeg smed blot en tidsramme ud, men det ser ud til at afgørelsen kommer en gang i 2023. Bull, siger jeg bare.

Commerce Department kicks off 1-year solar tariff investigation on panels imported from Southeast Asia
https://www.utilitydive.com/news/commerce-department-kicks-off-1-year-solar-tariff-investigation-on-panels-i/621153/
MARCH 29, 2022
“..
The Department of Commerce decision is expected on Jan. 26, 2023, with a possible extension to April 1, 2023. It will present preliminary findings of the investigation on Aug. 30, including a preliminary duty rate. The secretary of commerce will be able to apply any final duties retroactively to Nov. 4, 2021.
..”

manman01
30.03.2022 kl 22:10 11124

US weighs solar tariffs, unsettling industry
https://www.argusmedia.com/en/news/2316768-us-weighs-solar-tariffs-unsettling-industry
MARCH 30, 2022
"
Commerce secretary Gina Raimondo would be able to apply any duties retroactively, to as far back as November 2021, according CEA. Suppliers have indicated they may stop shipments from the countries in question until the agency issues its final ruling, expected in the first part of 2023.

Module suppliers in countries that were not named in the investigation will "likely" raise prices in response, CEA said. Some countries with established suppliers — including Canada, Germany, Mexico and South Korea — are geared to manufacture products for smaller, distributed solar projects, not utility-scale systems.
"
manman01
31.03.2022 kl 11:50 10813

US tariff investigation could imperil some utility-scale solar plans
https://www.spglobal.com/marketintelligence/en/news-insights/latest-news-headlines/us-tariff-investigation-could-imperil-some-utility-scale-solar-plans-69576987
MARCH 30, 2022
"
"Product companies [Array Technologies Inc.] and [Shoals Technologies Group Inc.] as well as downstream developers [Brookfield Renewable Partners LP, Atlantica Sustainable Infrastructure PLC and Hannon Armstrong Sustainable Infrastructure Capital Inc.] could face further project delays," J.P. Morgan analysts wrote March 28. "The residential installation companies have nearly 100% exposure to the U.S. but also have strategically elevated inventory levels which likely provides some buffer (into 3Q, we believe) from needing to procure additional panels."

Developers of utility-scale solar projects have already canceled at least 5% of their planned capacity for 2022 and postponed at least another 8% until 2023 or later, the Solar Energy Industries Association and Wood Mackenzie said in a March 10 report.

Solar panel manufacturers including China's JinkoSolar Holding Co. Ltd., Canadian Solar Inc. and Silicon Valley-based home energy solutions provider SunPower Corp., however, saw shares rise slightly following the announcement. Still, UBS told clients March 30 that the "uncertainty ... is an incremental negative" for JinkoSolar and Canadian Solar.

When it comes to domestic producers, Cowen and J.P. Morgan agreed that First Solar Inc. would benefit enormously from additional Commerce Department enforcement because it does not have exposure to the tariffs.
"
Redigert 31.03.2022 kl 11:51 Du må logge inn for å svare
Kvike11
31.03.2022 kl 12:00 10761

Der er hvis ingen tvivl om regeringen i USA arbejder på højtryk for at lave de bedste forhold for produktion i USA og undgå varer fra lande der prøver at undgå told m.m
Bare et spørgsmål om hvornår fabrikken åbner.
Tvangsbud på RECSI giver jeg intet for, vil aldrig sælge mine RECSI aktier, når jeg kan se de kan gå i kurs 100 inden for en kort tid.
I dag er det baggårdsmæglere og dagtrader der handler frem og tilbage , vi mangler der kommer mere fokus på en stærk købs analyse, som allerede ligger der.
manman01
31.03.2022 kl 21:20 10514

Department of Commerce Initiates Tariff Investigation on Imported Photovoltaic Panels, Rocking Solar Industry
https://www.emergingenergyinsights.com/2022/03/department-of-commerce-initiates-tariff-investigation-on-imported-photovoltaic-panels-rocking-solar-industry/
MARCH 30, 2022
"..
DOC has announced that it will determine which companies to investigate fully in each of the countries by sending out quantity and value questionnaires to determine which companies have the highest value and volume of exports to the US. The preliminary determination in this case is to be issued within 150 days of the publication of the notice of initiation in the Federal Register. Publication is likely on March 31 or April 1 so this would make the preliminary determination around August 29.
.."
manman01
31.03.2022 kl 22:00 10310

Det skulle vidst være denne :)

Antidumping or Countervailing Duty Investigations, Orders, or Reviews: Crystalline Silicon Photovoltaic Cells, Whether or Not Assembled into Modules, from the People's Republic of China
https://www.federalregister.gov/public-inspection/2022-06827/antidumping-or-countervailing-duty-investigations-orders-or-reviews-crystalline-silicon-photovoltaic
APRIL 1 , 2022
Redigert 31.03.2022 kl 22:01 Du må logge inn for å svare
manman01
31.03.2022 kl 22:03 10296

The President’s 2022 Trade Policy Agenda
https://www.finance.senate.gov/hearings/the-presidents-2022-trade-policy-agenda
MARCH 31, 2022
Svenn_13
01.04.2022 kl 17:42 9778

First solar ser også for seg å ta større andeler i hjemmemarkedet takket være blandt annet anti-dumping etterforskningen. Samtidig nevnes Hanwha sitt kjøp i Rec i denne artikkelen. Synes det sier mye om hva det vil si at man tar anti-dumping på alvor og hva oppkjøpet til Hanwha har å si for å etablere en egen solar kjede. Det er som hele bransjen venter nå på oppstart av Moses Lake og tilknyttet wafer produksjon:

“Ice Industries’ investment in Ohio delivers yet more evidence that high-value solar manufacturing is good for America. Our decision to double down on our manufacturing footprint in the state is bringing in more jobs and more investment through our supply ecosystem. Investment in manufacturing creates a durable, long-term economic impact,” he said.

The investment comes amidst heightened scrutiny of solar supply chains in the US, with the country’s Department of Commerce having this week launched an investigation into alleged circumvention of anti-dumping and countervailing duties by solar manufacturers in Southeast Asia.

This has led to calls for complete solar supply chains to be developed in the US, with Hanwha Solutions having last week stated its intent to rebuild a US-based solar supply chain after increasing its stake in silicon provider REC Silicon.
https://www.pv-tech.org/first-solar-locks-in-local-steel-supply-for-ohio-module-facility/
Mars 31, 2022
Slettet bruker
02.04.2022 kl 03:20 9409

The US is seeing manufacturing expansion across the supply chain. We can currently meet US polysilicon demand with local supply, and it will be increased by Q CELLS’s recent investments in REC Silicon.

https://www.linkedin.com/company/ultra-low-carbon-solar-alliance/
manman01
04.04.2022 kl 12:52 8728

New Tariff Investigation—An Unnatural Disaster for the U.S. Solar Industry
https://www.seia.org/events/new-tariff-investigation-unnatural-disaster-us-solar-industry
From
Tuesday, Apr 5, 2022 01:00pm
To
Tuesday, Apr 5, 2022 02:00pm
tobo581
04.04.2022 kl 13:35 8578

Hva betyr dette i klartekst?
Meldingene i de mange RECSI-trådene peker i alle retninger.
Slettet bruker
04.04.2022 kl 13:41 8626

Det betyr vel at det er misnøye fra de importørene og installatørene som taper på at man utreder om deler av dette kommer fra virksomheter som bryter med grunnleggende menneskerettigheter //
manman01
04.04.2022 kl 13:57 8569

Lige præcis (: jo mere utilfredse SEIA er omkring deres import af paneler, jo mere gavner det lokal, ren og slavefri fremstilling🤝
Redigert 04.04.2022 kl 13:58 Du må logge inn for å svare
Slettet bruker
04.04.2022 kl 14:04 8608

Det er veldig mange ting fra veldig mange hold som peker i RECSI sitt favør.

Dette konkret vil gjøre produksjon i USA i stand til å konkurrere (eller utkonkurrere) med utenlandske selskaper med relasjon til kinesisk produksjon (som dumper prisene, ref "Antidumping").

Kinesiske solcelle-materialer har i praksis monopol i verden, fordi staten subsidierer produksjonen sterkt, og gjør det umulig for konkurrenter å sette opp produksjon andre steder pga. de lave kinesiske prisene.
Slettet bruker
04.04.2022 kl 14:09 8713

Som de andre poengterer så betyr dette i praksis at selskaper som benytter seg av denne prisdumpingen for å selge paneler i USA vil slite hardt, fordi alle deres leveranser vil bli nektet inn i landet, og salget og monteringsarbeid vil stoppe opp.

Hvis et selskap i teorien kun benytter seg av å importere disse panelene så vil selskapet nesten umiddelbart gå konkurs og opphøre.
Og hvis jeg tolker SEIA's frustrasjon riktig her så sier de mer eller mindre rett ut at det finnes mange slike selskaper i USA, hvor mange tusen arbeidsplasser vil gå tapt.
Skalleknarp
04.04.2022 kl 14:10 8742

Det ser ut til at samme hva som dukker opp av positive triggere så sitter de fleste med "manikyr" settene og steller sine neglene heller enn å trykke på kjøps knappen for RECSI aksjer. Det må skje noe mega stort - avtale signert i 3 eksemplarer - sikringene/startknapp aktivert på ML ol. for at det skal få noen oppmerksomhet eller at kursen skal stige slik vi alle mener og håper den skal. Det kommer - det kommer.....
omac
04.04.2022 kl 14:12 8805

Det må komme meldinger av noe slag eller sterke eksterne triggere. Markedet er avventende og har brent seg før på å være med over 20 kroner derfor ligger vi her og vaker
Slettet bruker
04.04.2022 kl 14:39 8749

Kanskje. Jeg mener at inngang på 20-tallet er - objektivt sett - en rimelig inngang for RECsi aksjen.

Med Hanwha sin inntreden, og et solar-marked som skal bygges i USA for å møte en enorm og voksende etterspørsel- så bør det bygges ny polykapasitet i USA.

Man kommer ikke unna at det tar 3 år å bygge ny kapasitet, at fabrikker med tilsvarende kapasitet som ML vil koste rundt 20 milliarder. 12-15 milliarder for Butte. At man må ha tilgang på teknologien etc.

Butte og RECsi, samt teknologi og prises til 5 milliarder (betjent gjeld og trukket fra egenkapital). Det sier seg selv at det er snakk om TID før det smeller skikkelig. Og, at kurs 20 blir en svært rimelig inngang for de som sitter med urealisert tap i dag..,
Stabukk
04.04.2022 kl 15:10 8591

Omac si nøkterne oppsummering ser ut til å vera rett. Hanwha sitt andre kjøp på 20 burde vera trigger god nok, men er det ikkje. Fordelen er vel at nedsida synest minimal for dei som vil auka eller gå inn no.
manman01
06.04.2022 kl 06:14 8169

US solar industry in 'existential crisis' from Commerce solar tariff investigation
https://www.spglobal.com/commodity-insights/en/market-insights/latest-news/electric-power/040522-us-solar-industry-in-existential-crisis-from-commerce-solar-tariff-investigation
APRIL 5, 2022

"About three-fourths of survey respondents have already been told their shipments are delayed or canceled," Baca said, adding another 15% don't know the impact yet while 11% have not been notified. "Across all sectors we see major impacts being felt. Some of these look worse than the comments we got from COVID when projects were shut down. ... The levels of impacts here are still not visible to everyone downstream."

Half of the respondents reported that 80% or more of their current-year solar pipeline is at risk because of the investigation, according to survey results.

Companies expect damage across the value chain with all domestic manufacturers who responded to the survey saying they expect "severe" or "devastating" impacts, according to SEIA. In addition, since most energy storage projects are paired with solar, energy storage components are likely to become uneconomical without the solar components.
Slettet bruker
06.04.2022 kl 07:02 8084

Og at usas verdigkjede innen polysilikon og solar har stoppet opp skyldes kun en mann .. Manchin..
alle venter på bbb /SEMA .. og Manchin haler ut tiden ..
Redigert 06.04.2022 kl 07:04 Du må logge inn for å svare
Slettet bruker
06.04.2022 kl 09:51 7741

Gi ham et tilbud "Han ikke kan si nei til".
manman01
06.04.2022 kl 15:55 7640

To understand why Biden extended tariffs on solar panels, take a closer look at their historical impact
https://news.yahoo.com/understand-why-biden-extended-tariffs-122325226.html
APRIL 6, 2022
"

How will the next four years affect solar expansion?
The Biden administration set a U.S. goal in 2021 to reach zero carbon emissions from the electricity sector by 2035 to stop its role in climate change. That will require quadrupling 2020’s record level of annual solar deployment by the end of the decade.

Tariffs have the potential to slow deployment by making PV systems more expensive. That could be offset, however, by mandates and significant public and private investment in the solar sector.

The U.S. goals are part of a larger global effort to both increase local energy security and reduce greenhouse gas emissions, which will likely require significant expansion of solar manufacturing. The U.S. has the potential to be part of this larger global supply chain, but it must scale up to compete.

This article is republished from The Conversation, a nonprofit news site dedicated to sharing ideas from academic experts. It was written by: David J. Feldman, National Renewable Energy Laboratory.
"
manman01
07.04.2022 kl 23:45 7303

International Trade Administration Inquiry Poised to Impose Significant Import Duties on Certain Solar Cells and Modules
https://www.jdsupra.com/legalnews/international-trade-administration-1509528/
APRIL 7, 2022
"
Companies and individuals wishing to provide input on the Inquiry and related Request will have opportunities to do so, but will need to act quickly. For example, interested parties will be able “to submit comments and factual information to rebut, clarify, or correct factual information contained in the request.” The anticipated deadline for these comments is May 2, 2022. In addition, Commerce is in the process of identifying and selecting companies as respondents in the investigation. The process of identifying respondents is expected to conclude as soon as this week.

The Inquiry is governed by 19 C.F.R. § 351.226 and section 781(b) of the Tariff Act of 1930. Per applicable regulations, Commerce has 150 days from the date of the notice announcing its inquiry to issue a preliminary determination (approx. August 29, 2022). An affirmative final determination will empower Commerce to retroactively apply duties as a penalty. A negative final determination will terminate the suspension of liquidation and require Commerce to refund all case deposits paid on the subject products.

Purchasers of subject panels should be aware that they may be subject to the retroactive tariffs for any past solar cell or module purchases made after October 19, 2021, and should take into consideration the potential effect of these tariffs in future purchases.
"
manman01
09.04.2022 kl 08:52 6936

Solar anti-circ investigation may not be determined by Commerce until late August, said ROTH
https://pv-magazine-usa.com/2022/04/08/solar-anti-circ-investigation-may-not-be-determined-by-commerce-until-late-august-said-roth/
APRIL 8, 2022
"
In his industry note, Philip Shen, managing director, ROTH Capital Partners, wrote, “the module procurement process has been turned upside down.” He continued to share that some solar developers may be willing to take on the risk and continue to procure and deploy, but that activity will mostly occur in the distributed generation space rather than the utility-scale. “Our AntiCirc checks this week suggest C-Si utility scale module volume for the rest of the year may largely shut off,” said the note.

Shen’s team believes the DOC will take the full 150 days it is allotted to make a determination on the case, which places the deadline on August 26th. He notes that the passing of Sen. Jon Ossoff’s (D-GA) Solar Energy Manufacturing for America Act may play a role in the determination.

The note added that mid-week, facilities in Vietnam, Malaysia, and Cambodia have started to reduce production.

Shen’s team has also noted an increase in power purchase agreement (PPA) prices and a trend of smaller developers reselling projects to larger developers.

Costs are particularly rising in the distributed generation space, with pricing skyrocketing to $0.60-$0.70/W, rising from last year’s $0.40-$0.50/W/ This translates to residential end-user costs rising from $4-4.50/W to nearly $6/W, said ROTH.
"
Redigert 09.04.2022 kl 08:52 Du må logge inn for å svare
manman01
19.04.2022 kl 12:57 6436

U.S. Department of Commerce Investigation of Solar Panel Imports Puts Solar Projects at Risk
https://www.jdsupra.com/legalnews/u-s-department-of-commerce-4964059
APRIL 18, 2022
manman01
19.04.2022 kl 18:10 6405

“This is Wreaking Havoc on our Business”: Companies Share Stories About the Impact of the Auxin Tariff Petition
https://www.seia.org/blog/wreaking-havoc-our-business-companies-share-stories-about-impact-auxin-tariff-petition
APRIL 19, 2022
"
High Prices Wreak Havoc on Bottom Lines

The decision is also exacerbating high prices in the solar industry, which have been on the rise over the past year, due to a myriad of supply chain challenges.

“This is wreaking havoc on our business,” says one survey respondent, who reported a 35% increase in solar module prices and significant inflation on other materials. To make matters worse, manufacturers are cancelling their purchase orders because they do not have inventory to ship at the agreed-upon prices. Another company anticipates that their profitability will nosedive, “which has already taken a huge hit due to price increases across the board in the last 6 months.”

Businesses cannot succeed with continued price increases that affect their profit margins. Every day that this investigation continues, companies will struggle to get by.
"
Stabukk
19.04.2022 kl 18:55 6310

Vil ikkje då Hanwha med kjapp gjenåpning av ML kunna «redda» mange «Solar Projects at Risk»? Eller er det totalt misforstått frå mi side?
manman01
19.04.2022 kl 19:02 6297

Jeg tror disse projekt udviklere, tager imod alle de paneler de kan få fingrene i :)
manman01
20.04.2022 kl 14:16 5876

U.S. solar industry prepares for solar panel supply issues
https://www.solarpowerworldonline.com/2022/04/u-s-solar-industry-prepares-for-solar-panel-supply-issues/
APRIL 20, 2022
“..
Trying to prepare for 2023 is where community solar developer Nexamp is focused right now, said director of supply chain Bilal Ahmed.

“We’re buying so far ahead of time, we’re good almost halfway through 2023, which allows us a couple months of wiggle room,” he said. “But to be able to stay on track, we need to get orders out in the next quarter. We can push the Q2 orders maybe to Q3, however the AD/CVD preliminary decision on this case doesn’t come until August. And even then, if it’s anywhere remotely as vague as it is today or how things transpired in the previous AD/CVD case, if people held out until the very last minute because there was really no direction, we would be forced to make some hard decisions.”

Utility-scale developer Silicon Ranch just signed a 4-GW module supply agreement with U.S. thin-film module manufacturer First Solar, which should ease supply worries through 2025. But CEO Reagan Farr acknowledged that not every major developer has that type of security.

“I’ve seen that 20 to 30% of projects last year didn’t [reach commercial operation date] on time, and I’ve heard that ratio may go up to above 50% this year,” he said. “I think you’re going to see a lot of projects come offline or have to be renegotiated all the way through to the offtake agreement, and that’s going to be impactful to the industry.”
..”
Redigert 20.04.2022 kl 14:19 Du må logge inn for å svare
manman01
20.04.2022 kl 14:33 5801

38,000 solar jobs could be lost due to AD/CVD circumvention investigation, says ACP
https://www.solarpowerworldonline.com/2022/04/38000-solar-jobs-could-be-lost-due-to-ad-cvd-circumvention-investigation-says-acp/
APRIL 20, 2022
“..
Clean energy advocacy group American Clean Power Association (ACP) has finished a market impact survey to assess the immediate impacts of the Dept. of Commerce’s investigation into alleged AD/CVD circumvention by solar panel companies working in Southeast Asia. ACP collected data from utility-scale solar developers representing over 150 active solar projects.
…”
manman01
22.04.2022 kl 23:38 5553

Chinese Solar Manufacturers Hold Biden Administration to Ransom
https://prosperousamerica.org/chinese-solar-manufacturers-hold-biden-administration-to-ransom/
APRIL 22, 2022
“..
On Thursday, Kirk Crews, chief financial officer of Florida solar installer NextEra, explained to investors that the Chinese solar installers have forced this decision onto the U.S. installer industry. “Given that a number of suppliers are not expected to ship panels to the U.S. until the Commerce Department makes a preliminary determination – as late as August – we continue to expect some of our solar projects will be impacted by this delay,” Crews said.

This view of events—that Chinese exporters are driving the slowdown in shipments into the U.S.—is further verified by another statement from a different group of installers. A letter from more than 50 small solar installers made it clear that the Chinese exporters are withholding solar panels from the U.S. market. The letter said:

“The manufacturers exporting from the countries named in the petition will not ship us the CSPV modules we’ve ordered…The petition has created an insurmountable barrier to our small businesses receiving the CSPV modules our customers (farmers, homeowners, LMI renters, schools, hospitals, municipalities, nonprofits, etc.) are relying on us to install for them.”

The SEIA lobbying group for the solar installer industry, which includes Chinese solar panel manufacturers among its membership, has tried to position the slowdown into the U.S. as the result of installer fears over a tariff, but the reality is that the Chinese exporters based in Southeast Asia, including three of the largest Chinese solar makers, Jinko, Longi, and Trina, are playing a cold-blooded game of chicken with the Biden administration. They are gambling that by stopping exports into the U.S. for several months they will create such fear among the climate advocates in the administration that the administration will cave in and abandon the anti-circumvention suit.

That would be a tragedy. The U.S. already has a domestic solar panel industry that can provide some 10%-20% of its needs today. This industry can scale up quickly and indeed, is already scaling up aggressively. The existing Section 201 tariffs, implemented by the Trump administration and recently renewed by the Biden administration, have been essential in giving U.S. solar manufacturers the confidence to invest in their businesses. If the anti-circumvention case goes forward, it is likely to end with additional tariffs in the 20%-40% range on panels coming out of Southeast Asia (and not the 200%+ that have been claimed by some alarmists in the installer lobby).
..”
manman01
25.04.2022 kl 02:16 5189

Sorry, China. Most Americans Support Higher Prices On Your Imports.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/kenrapoza/2022/04/24/sorry-china-most-americans-support-higher-prices-on-your-imports/?sh=6e404ebc1d2e
APRIL 24, 2022
"
An overwhelming number of U.S. registered voters say they support higher tariffs on goods imported from China.

According to a poll released this week by Morning Consult, 73% of survey respondents said they support the U.S. government using trade remedies on China to protect U.S. industries and American workers with a similar high number — 71% — supporting the trade war tariffs imposed on $250 billion worth of China imports during the Trump administration.
From the Morning Consult survey:

-61% of voters believe that increased imports have caused the U.S. to become dependent on China for goods that are critical to the U.S. economy and U.S. national security.

-60% of voters oppose China continuing to receive Most Favored Nation trade status with the U.S. which give it a 3.4% tariff for imports.

-61% of voters support the U.S. government banning Chinese companies from U.S. capital markets that have been sanctioned or do not comply with U.S. securities laws.
"
https://prosperousamerica.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/04/2203208_topline_COALITION_FOR_PROSPEROUS_AMERICA_RVs.pdf?vgo_ee=EvSf8QQxg01jJPs51BdtHj5LlAJyOZtDsx15s11O5wI%3D
manman01
25.04.2022 kl 10:05 4823

Who is Auxin Solar? An exclusive interview with the CEO behind the bitter solar tariff fight
https://www.renewableenergyworld.com/solar/who-is-auxin-solar-an-exclusive-interview-with-the-ceo-behind-the-bitter-solar-tariff-fight/
APRIL 25, 2022
"
Auxin Solar CEO Memun Rashid gave his first extensive interview since filing the tariff petition on the Factor This! podcast, a new podcast from Renewable Energy World designed specifically for the solar industry debuting on May 9. Subscribe wherever you get your podcasts.

The decision was made to file the AD/CVD petition after a previous petition was rejected by Commerce because a group of anonymous U.S. solar module manufacturers refused to identify themselves. Auxin was not involved in that petition, Rashid said, but the company was disappointed when it failed.

The Trump administration's Section 201 tariff and quota on imported solar cells in 2018 had a positive impact on Auxin's business -- but something changed in the last few quarters.

"We want to make sure investing in American manufacturing is a safe bet. That's what this is all about," Rashid said. "Once we saw the data (regarding solar modules produced in Southeast Asia), it looked very suspicious."
"
manman01
26.04.2022 kl 07:59 4464

Biden’s Solar Plans Run Into a Chinese Wall
https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/energy/bidens-solar-plans-run-into-a-chinese-wall/2022/04/25/137f78ac-c490-11ec-8cff-33b059f4c1b7_story.html
APRIL 25, 2022
“..
Yet globalization has fewer defenders on either the left or the right these days, with populism, the pandemic and Russia’s attack on Ukraine fraying or altogether snapping the bonds of trade. Deglobalization is inflationary for all types of energy. The secular trend of falling prices for solar equipment, batteries and other cleantech has been arrested.

Think about this in terms of externalities. Fossil-fuel advocates often criticize renewables for their reliance on subsidies, conveniently forgetting that their favored energy source has long enjoyed the biggest subsidy of all: unpriced emissions. Yet cleantech developers and advocates must now grapple with having to internalize some unpriced externalities of their own: security and protectionism.

There is no getting away from the reality that, while an increasing majority of Americans express concern about climate change, its abstract nature often makes it necessary to co-brand policies to address it — with jobs or infrastructure or geopolitics or whatever. As Auxin’s challenge shows, this creates tensions, especially around costs.
..”
manman01
26.04.2022 kl 20:45 4179

Solar Group Says U.S. Trade Probe Will Cut Domestic Installations in Half
https://www.bloombergquint.com/business/solar-group-says-trade-probe-will-cut-u-s-installments-in-half
APRIL 26, 2022
"
The Solar Energy Industries Association estimates that 318 projects totaling 51 gigawatts of solar capacity and 6 gigawatt-hours of attached battery storage are being canceled or delayed, the Washington-based group said Tuesday in an emailed statement.
"
Redigert 26.04.2022 kl 20:46 Du må logge inn for å svare
manman01
26.04.2022 kl 20:47 4206

Tja, store markedsandele klar til at blive hapset op.

Men af hvem? ;)
Stabukk
26.04.2022 kl 21:29 4101

Trade Probe skaper tydeligvis store forandringer, men Rec og Hanwha/Q-Cells er allerede ute av startgropen for å ta en stor bit av «solar-kaken» i USA.
Synest ikke det kan herske noen tvil om det!
manman01
26.04.2022 kl 21:39 4045

Store, og forhåbenligt vedvarende forandringer. Dette er blot udfaldet fra begyndelsen på undersøgelsen.. Bliver disse lande fundet skyldige i undvigelse af tariffer, fordufter mange flere hvis ikke hele resten af de 51 GW import moduler.

… der er også bare et eller andet ved at udsætte/afbestille sådan en mængde paneler, der gør jeg tror ovenstående lande er skyldige i dumping (med en smule confirmation bias selvfølgelig)