Time to get serious on energy in Quebec

Slettet bruker
QEC 14.11.2018 kl 19:43 12258

Premier-elect François Legault told us in an editorial board meeting in April that he wanted to be known as the “business premier.” His platform calls for a large reduction in the bureaucracy, less bureaucratic forms, more ways to attract out-of-province investors and lower taxes. We can think of no better priority for him to commence his mandate on. And we can think of no better area to start his program than in energy. It is time for Quebec to get serious on its energy potential.

The time is very propitious. The previous government’s failure to move on the Energy East pipeline has still left Quebec dependent on foreign oil. It costs taxpayers millions. canada spends $39 million a day — a day — on foreign oil purchases and Quebec makes up a great deal of that. Indeed, Quebecers not only pay higher gaz prices because of that, but we are also purchasing from some less than stellar governments like Venezuela. Completing a pipeline would also protect us from disasters like Lac Megantic because so much of our oil is brought by train from Maine. The environmentalists who feared the pipeline, must be reminded again that there were not one but two redundacy systems in that pipeline to protect against any leaks. It would bring tens of millions of dollars into Quebec, create thousands of jobs and save Quebecers millions at the pumps.

The issue of the pipeline has come up again because of two matters that have arisen at the Federal level. Ottawa’s disastrous handling of the Trans-Mountain pipeline that has cost Canadians billions and the carbon tax issue. Over the past month, a number of premiers and potential premiers are saying “no” to the “made-in-Ottawa” carbon tax and have formed an informal alliance. New Brunswick PC Leader Blaine Higgs — who would become premier if Liberal Premier Brian Gallant razor thin plurality government falls, said “I am absolutely not going to impose a carbon tax, and I’ve said that through the process that I would work with the other provinces to fight the federal government in this regard.” Higgs joins Ontario Premier Doug Ford, Saskatchewan Premier Scott Moe, Manitoba Premier Brian Pallister, and Alberta UCP Leader and premier-hopeful Jason Kenney in their open opposition to the Trudeau government’s plan. Even Alberta NDP Premier Rachel Notley has promised not to support the carbon tax plan until the Trans Mountain pipeline problem is resolved. Carbon tax pass-throughs by the companies hit with these taxes will cost the average driver $300 a year at the pumps and the average household $1250 a year. All this damage for a country that produces only 2% of the world’s emissions while China continues to do what it wants. If M. Legault wants to find a business issue to start off his mandate, and make it clear that he will protect Quebec’s interests vis-a-vis Ottawa within a united Canada, there could be no better file than energy. Not only is it the right thing to do, it puts him into an alliance with half the premiers of the country.

Another major initiative that can get Quebec moving, and meet M.Legault’s objective, is natural gas. Even the feds when clamping down on Trans-Mountain, have gone ahead with plans to build a liquid natural gas plant. M. Legault has said he wants non-Quebecers to invest here. The natural gas industry has produced a leader for M. Legault’s vision. Over much of the past decade Calgary’s Michael Binnion and his Questerre Energy group have led a consortium assembling a million hectares of land where they have proven that there are reserves of clean natural gas that could give Quebec thousands of jobs, millions in tax revenues, and save Quebecers more on their energy bills. It is estimated that there are over 4 trillion cubic feet of deposits. Binnion and his associates want no government money. Yet the Couillard administration tied them up in regulations that contradict its own Hydrocarbon Act of 2016 because there has been opposition to the fracking that would be necessary to extract the gas. Yet fracking has been going on in Alberta and BC for nearly 60 years with only one incident. And Montreal’s Gaz Met buys all of its natural gas from fracked fields in the Utica Shale and the Marsellus Shale in the United States. So why are we exporting Quebec dollars for the benefit of American producers then making a profiit on top of that off the backs of Quebecers when we could have a home-grown industry led by exactly the type of independent entrepreneurs M. Legault and business leaders want? Binnion is so committed to Quebec despite the bureaucratic frustrations that he learned French, got an apartment in Montreal for a time and has assumed the presidency of the Oil and Gas Association of Quebec having taken over from no less than Lucien Bouchard.

M. Legault reminded voters during the election that Quebec’s finances only appear healthy because we receive $11 billion in equalization payments under the current regime. That’s some 65% of all transfers. Our $2 billion budget surplus would really be a $9 billion deficit if we did not have the generosity of the rest of Canada to fall back on. What better way to solve this than getting serious on energy.
Redigert 21.01.2021 kl 08:42 Du må logge inn for å svare
Slettet bruker
16.11.2018 kl 19:10 5226

Godt gjort å feilsitere Legaults enkle svar:
"We are not open to shale gas," he said in response to a question from Le Devoir, on the sidelines of a speech at the gallery of the Quebec Federation of Municipalities.
Redigert 18.01.2021 kl 22:11 Du må logge inn for å svare
Stranger
16.11.2018 kl 19:17 5210

Sådan er det så meget Pick Up. Se hvad Legault sagde, da han var i opposition.

François Legault, leader of the opposition Coalition Avenir du Québec, said Ms. Ouellet shouldn’t be “so dogmatic” about shale gas before the environmental committee’s final studies have been completed. “If the technology allows the extraction safely, we should exploit shale gas.”
Slettet bruker
16.11.2018 kl 19:31 5178

Stranger
Svaret som du siterer, inneholder en rekke politisk korrekte, taktiske forbehold og kan neppe oppfattes som entydig. Nå som Legaults parti imidlertid har vunnet valget, skal det godt gjøres å feilsitere et så enkelt og direkte svar som han nylig har gitt. Eller tror du at hele greia er et komplott, og at Legault i virkeligheten har sagt at " we are open to fracking?" Jeg venter med spenning på hva som kommer ut av dette!

For ordens skyld gjentar jeg Legaults siterte uttalelse på nytt:
"We are not open to shale gas," he said in response to a question from Le Devoir, on the sidelines of a speech at the gallery of the Quebec Federation of Municipalities.
Stranger
16.11.2018 kl 19:56 5126

Ja, det er svært at vide hvad de finder på. Det kan være at videnskab sejr til sidst og Legault får sin sund fornuft tilbage og forholder sig til sin udtaleser, som jeg har pastet ind.
Domus
16.11.2018 kl 20:51 5022

Ketchup, du insinuerer at Jason farer med løgn. På hvilket grunnlag baserer du det på?
Du utelukker at stabssjefen i CAQ faktisk har sagt at Legault er feilsitert. Du utelukker at reporter ikke har fått med seg et evt - hvis sosial aksept ikke foreligger.

Du om det, men det er i hvert fall relativt sterke beskyldninger om at Jason i Qec farer med løgner.
Slettet bruker
16.11.2018 kl 21:29 4970

Domus da.
Jeg påpeker at det skal godt gjøres å feilsitere et enkelt og klart svar som at " we are not open to shale gas". Som nevnt avventer jeg med spenning hva som kommer ut av dette. Med andre ord har jeg ikke insinuert noe som helst!
Domus
16.11.2018 kl 21:34 4953

Ja, du gjemmer deg bak det, men du insinuerer klart og tydelig at Jason farer med løgn. Du vet det like godt som jeg, men du pakker det inn for å kunne sno deg unna. Så - joda, du mener at enten stabssjefen eller Jason farer med usannheter.

IRMC
Slettet bruker
16.11.2018 kl 21:39 4947

Domus
Jeg hadde også skrevet IRMC hvis jeg hadde hatt en like tynn argumentasjon som deg. F.Y.I.
Slettet bruker
16.11.2018 kl 23:13 4789

Noen her på forumet som har lest Asbjørnsens & Moe eventyret: Prinsessen som ingen kunne målbinde?
Slettet bruker
16.11.2018 kl 23:55 4744

Bare en liten tanke. Burde ikke den godeste Jason fortalt Stranger (og oss) hva Primeminister Legault egentlig sa om shale gass i Quebec siden han hevder at primeministeren er feilsitert?
Flipper
17.11.2018 kl 01:27 4665

Producers including Canadian Natural Resources Ltd. and Cenovus Energy Inc. have responded to the price drop by curtailing as much as 140,000 bpd or more

Giovanni Staunovo ?

@staunovo
Follow Follow @staunovo
More
#Canada: Producers including Canadian Natural Resources Ltd. and Cenovus Energy Inc. have responded to the price drop by curtailing what could amount to as much as 140,000 barrels a day or more, according to company statements.

BBG #OOTT
Flipper
17.11.2018 kl 02:01 4637

Lee_Saks 3m3 minutes ago #SAUDI OFFICIALS SAY THEY GOING TO CHART AN OIL POLICY INDEPENDENT OF U.S. GOALS: WSJ.
Domus
17.11.2018 kl 08:56 4443

FYI
Må bare innom for å rette opp faktafeil : det er ikke Jason som hevder at Legault er feilsitert - det er stabssjefen til Legault som hevder dette ref Strangers mail.

Men om en pluss en er to eller fem er ikke så viktig bare det passer inn i min vinkling/sannhet
Slettet bruker
17.11.2018 kl 09:15 4418

Domus
F.Y.I.
Jeg må bare rette opp din faktafeil før jeg drar på hyttetur. Det rr jo Jason som innformerer Stranger. Ref. innlegg fra Stranger i går:

(edited)

Stranger

I går kl 18:46826

Har fået mail fra Jason at, de har været i kontakt med François Legault's stabschef om artiklen i Ledevoir og de har fået det oplyst at François Legault er blevet fejlciteret. Og de snart skal holde møde med regering om deres holdning til fracking, hvis der er social accept.

Slettet bruker
17.11.2018 kl 09:46 4359

Men fortsatt godt gjort å feilsitere Legaults enkle svar:

"We are not open to shale gas," he said in response .

Muiig han egentlig sa at "WE ARE OPEN TO SHALE GASS. I så fall hadde vi kanske fått vite om det. I form av et dementi fra redaksjonen eller fra Jason D himself og CAQ.

Blir spennde å følge utviklingen, dere.
Domus
17.11.2018 kl 11:08 4233

Følger man Ketchups argumentasjoner så er det faktisk Stranger som informerer at Legault er feilsitert da Stranger gjengir det Jason gjengir fra stabssjefen som sier at Legault er feilsitert.

uptrade
17.11.2018 kl 11:21 4208

Men hvem feilsiterer hvem?

Og hvorfor i all verden skal CAQ svare og engasjere seg noe mer dersom det er blank nei, uansett SA, Elver og HPA?

Hadde det ikke vært bedre om CAQ kunne gått ut med en pressemelding om at det er siste spikeren i kisten?
Blitt ferdig med alle spekulasjonene og usikre fremtiden.
Slettet bruker
17.11.2018 kl 19:43 3904

EDITED

Det påberopes til stadighet et krav om sosial aksept som betingelse for fracking.
Begrepet som for flere år siden ble lansert av Couillard, har fortsatt ikke fått noen retningslinjer for hvordan det skal måles, men er blitt et effektivt treneringsmiddel for de to siste primeministrene som begge har trengt et pusterom for å finne et strategisk riktig tidspunkt for offentliggjøring av sitt standpunkt mot fracking. Hva Legaults nylige uttalelse mot fracking angår; ville vi for lengst hørt et dementi fra CAQ hvis uttalelsen strider mot partiets policy. Med mindre Jason D alternativt Binnion av egen interesse hadde kommet partiet i forkjøpet og informert oss om at Quebec's nye primeminister i virkeligheten er pro fracking. Det ville vært kurscracking njus. But alas!

Vikingen
17.11.2018 kl 21:19 3793

Hvem er de 2 der udtaler sig i twittet?
Slettet bruker
17.11.2018 kl 21:45 3733

Ulken
Du må ikke sammenblande Binnions økonomiske interresser.med Quebec's. Eller dine økonomiske interesser. Det blir feil!
uptrade
19.11.2018 kl 23:42 3292

FREDERICTON — A major player in natural gas development in New Brunswick is making plans for new wells if the province's new Tory government follows through on a pledge to lift a moratorium on fracking.

Corridor Resources currently has 32 producing wells in the Sussex area and operates a 50 kilometre pipeline, a gathering system comprising 15 kilometres of pipe, and a natural gas processing facility.

The company wants to expand but the previous Liberal government imposed a moratorium in 2014 that prohibits hydraulic fracturing — a process that involves pumping water and chemicals at high pressure to fracture shale rock and release gas.

The new Tory government has proposed lifting the moratorium in specific areas, like the Sussex region, if there is public support.

In a corporate presentation the company says, if the moratorium is lifted, they would drill five vertical evaluation wells, complete three existing wells, identify "sweet spots," and drill a second round of up to five horizontal wells.

The company says with the impending end of Nova Scotia's offshore production, natural gas will have to come from outside the Maritimes if the New Brunswick deposit is not further developed.

---
Flere store spillere som venter på startsignal fra den nye regjeringen i naboregionen Brunswick.

De er ikke akkurat gjerrige når de skal sette igang ;)
uptrade
19.11.2018 kl 23:48 3282

Fra Q3 til Corridor 13.nov:

We are encouraged by early indications from New Brunswick that the new Government may be prepared to propose the removal of the hydraulic fracturing moratorium in the area around our core assets.  We look forward to working with the new Government to seek a path forward to unlocking New Brunswick’s natural gas potential.”
Flipper
20.11.2018 kl 01:02 3225

Genscape on Iran
That is worth about $10/barrel increase in price

Genscape, Inc.

Verified account
@genscape
35m35 minutes ago
More
Replying to @Reuters
We're tracking #oilsupply by the day in #Iran - our intel shows production is down 1 mmbpd since the end of October. #OOTT #IranSanctions

Flipper
20.11.2018 kl 01:06 3219

The Associated Press
November 19, 2018

ST. PAUL, Minn. — The Latest on Minnesota regulators reaffirming their support for Enbridge Energy’s plan to replace its aging Line 3 crude oil pipeline across northern Minnesota (all times local):
12:45 p.m.

Minnesota regulators have reaffirmed their support for Enbridge Energy’s proposal to replace its aging Line 3 crude oil pipeline across northern Minnesota.

The Public Utilities Commission on Monday rejected a motion by opponents to reconsider its previous decision to grant a certificate of need for the project.

And the commissioners agreed that Calgary, Alberta-based Enbridge has met several additional conditions they imposed when they approved the plan in June, including requirements for insurance coverage against spills and financial assurances for covering the costs of removing the pipeline at the end of its life.

Environmental and tribal groups say the project would aggravate climate change and endanger pristine waters in northern Minnesota. Dozens of their supporters walked out of the hearing and marched to the office of Gov. Elect Tim Walz.

Opponents of Enbridge Energy’s proposed Line 3 crude oil pipeline replacement shouted their objections as Minnesota regulators opened a hearing on the project.

Several protesters chanted that the pipeline would be a climate change disaster. That prompted Public Utilities Commission Chairwoman Nancy Lange to call for order shortly after the hearing began Monday.

Dozens of opponents watching in an overflow hearing room took up the chant before walking out. The hearing itself continued.

The hearing is a resumption of one the commission postponed in September after protester s disrupted it.

The commission approved the project this summer. The hearing is on whether Calgary, Alberta-based Enbridge has met conditions that commissioners imposed then concerning insurance against spills and other issues.
Yankee
20.11.2018 kl 14:09 2894

«Verstingland»
De landene som scorer dårligst på listen er land hvis utslippskutt frem mot 2030 ville ført til en global oppvarming på hele 5,1 grader som resten av verden oppfører seg på samme måte.
Canada. Kina, Russland, Saudi-Arabia og Tyrkia er blant landene i den kategorien.

Australia (+4,4 grader), Japan (+4,3 grader) og USA (+4,0 grader) er blant andre store utslippsland som ligger høyt på skalaen.
EU-landene varierer mellom +4,6 for Romania til +2,6 for Frankrike. Som helhet ligger de 28 landene i EU på en økning på 3,2 grader innen 2100.
Bortsett fra Island (+1,9 grader) er Norge med sine +2,2 grader best i Norden. Deretter følger Sverige (+2,7 grader), Danmark (+3,0 grader) og Finland (+3,5 grader).