Tomra - trolig mye mer på gang for Tomra i Australia!

Kommentatoren
TOM 13.06.2019 kl 22:31 1899

Tomra eier og opererer hele pantesystemet "Return and Earn" i delstaten New South Wales. I delstaten Queensland eier og opererer Tomra 10 store pantesenter i de tettest bebodde områdene. Her har dere nyheten om at også vin- og melkeflasker nå trolig kommer inn som panteobjekter i Australia. Delstaten Southern Australia har dessuten satt i gang en prosess med henblikk på å modernisere sitt pantesytem. Dessuten er trolig nyheten om endelig utforming av pantesystemet i delstaten Western Australia like rundt hjørnet. Pantesystemet i Western Australia skal være oppe og gå allerede tidlig i 2020. Så "down under" er det trolig mye (mer) på gang nå for Tomra, som dere skjønner!

Possible change in the air for container refund scheme

Ebony Graveur by EBONY GRAVEUR

12th Jun 2019 3:05 PM

LESS than a year in, the Containers for Change refund scheme is set to expand.

Currently, a range of containers from water bottles to soft drink cans are included in the scheme, allowing people to trade in eligible recyclables for 10c a pop at participating refund sites.

While milk and wine bottles have not previously been included, Environment Minister Leeanne Enoch said in a statement there was a possibility things could change and currently other Australian states were looking into expanding to include wine and milk bottles.

"It's still only seven months old but it's obvious from the half a billion containers that have already been returned and the more than 640 jobs that have been created, that Queenslanders are hugely supportive of this recycling initiative,” Ms Enoch said.

"It's great to see people are so enthusiastic about Containers for Change that people are starting to ask how it could be expanded.”

Ms Enoch said South Australia was reviewing its scheme and as states strived to offer uniform schemes to minimise costs and maximise efficiency across the country, it could impact Queensland.

"There is a possibility of future change. The South Australian government is currently conducting a review of its container scheme,” she said.

The Gatton, Laidley, Esk, Fernvale and Kilcoy refund processing sites are managed by third party Anuha.

Anuha general manager Robert Evelyn said the scheme was popular.

"We didn't know what to expect but we're doing a larger volume than we'd anticipated when it started.”

https://www.gattonstar.com.au/news/possible-change-in-the-air-for-container-refund-sc/3752040/
Redigert 20.01.2021 kl 13:04 Du må logge inn for å svare
Kommentatoren
01.08.2019 kl 23:28 1605

Recycling bodies call for expansion of container deposit scheme in SA

By Meagan Dillon
Posted Mon at 10:17pm

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-07-30/should-south-australias-deposit-container-scheme-be-expanded/11317302

HomeNewsExperts back cashback plan to..

Experts back cashback plan to help Victoria’s recycling crisis

30/07/2019
ROSS AND JOHN

Victoria’s recycling woes could be solved by a container deposit scheme and other solutions according to a leading academic.

Dr Trevor Thornton, a lecturer at Deakin University’s School of Life and Environmental Sciences, says the introduction of a container deposit scheme — paying residents a per-item rate for certain items — would help solve problems such as contamination, which is most prevalent among glass items.

Victoria is the only state in Australia that doesn’t have a cashback program, nor plans to start one.

“Container deposit schemes bring a lot of glass out of the recycling stream, so I’d like to see that happen first,” Dr Thornton told Ross and John.

“If we go down the process of cleaning up all this recycling and private industry aren’t going to do it, then let state government walk in and do it.”

https://www.3aw.com.au/experts-back-cashback-plan-to-help-victorias-recycling-crisis/

180,000 tonnes of recycling heading to landfill as Victoria’s SKM teeters on the brink

BY MICHELLE FRANK ON JULY 29, 2019

The company, which handles about half of the state’s recycling, is in financial crisis and has told local councils it can no longer accept material

More than half of the Victorian rubbish usually handled by stricken recycling operator SKM will be sent to the tip after the company told 30 local councils it could no longer collect material from them.

https://www.infosurhoy.com/cocoon/saii/xhtml/en_GB/news-summary/180000-tonnes-of-recycling-heading-to-landfill-as-victorias-skm-teeters-on-the-brink/

JULY 31, 2019 7:02 PM AEST

Containers for Change hits 700 million

More than 700 million containers have been returned across Queensland since the Containers for Change scheme started nine months ago – enough to stretch around the world twice.

Minister for Environment Leeanne Enoch said the popularity of the scheme had far exceeded expectations, with the volume of returned containers about a third higher than predicted.

“As more and more Queenslanders have been getting on board with this recycling scheme, businesses have been embracing the economic and job opportunities.

“More refund points have been opening across the state, and now there are 307 refund points open, which was the target set for November 1 this year.

“This means the scheme is three months ahead of schedule, which is amazing. It is a clear indication that Queenslanders care about recycling and are embracing this scheme.”

Minister Enoch said with 700 million containers returned, more than $70 million has been refunded to individuals and families, charities and community organisations.

“Our state is a much cleaner place thanks to people’s overwhelming enthusiasm to cash in their containers, with an average of around 3 million containers being returned per day,” she said.

“More than 193,000 Queenslanders are now registered under the scheme, which has also helped create more than 600 new jobs across Queensland.”

Ms Enoch said since Containers for Change started, there had been a 35% reduction of containers ending up as litter, and this is expected to increase.

“This scheme is making a real difference in greatly reducing the amount of plastic pollution ending up in our waterways and environment,” she said.

https://www.miragenews.com/containers-for-change-hits-700-million/
Redigert 01.08.2019 kl 23:54 Du må logge inn for å svare
Kommentatoren
05.08.2019 kl 11:14 1441

Presset på myndighetene i Victoria for å innføre pantesystem bare vokser for hver dag som går. Delstatsmyndighetene har strittet imot, avfallshåndteringskrisen er komplett og Victoria drukner i søppel. Nå er det nok like før man tar til fornuften og gir folket det pantesystemet folket og myndighetene ute i regionene i delstaten vil ha...

Councils call for cash-for-cans scheme as recycling crisis deepen

By Benjamin Preiss
August 5, 2019 — 11.41am

A coalition of local councils is demanding the state government introduce a reward program for collecting bottles and containers as a way of fixing the state's ailing recycling system.

Melbourne City Council is among those calling for a container deposit scheme after it was forced to dump tonnes of recycling material in landfill due to the closure of one of Victoria’s biggest recycling companies.

The Age has contacted the state government for comment. Although it has not released any plans to introduce a container deposit scheme, government MP Cesar Melham told ABC radio he hoped one would be rolled out soon.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/councils-call-for-cash-for-cans-scheme-as-recycling-crisis-deepens-20190805-p52dx6.html

At least 15 councils still forced to dump recycling in landfill

By Benjamin Preiss and Ivana Domic
August 5, 2019 — 5.42pm

The collapse of recycling giant SKM continues to play havoc with Victoria’s waste management system, as at least 15 councils are forced to dump paper, glass and cans in landfill.

While some councils that had contracts with the failed recycling company have scrambled to find alternative processors, tonnes of recycling are still headed for landfill.

Residents of some councils - such as Geelong - have been told they can drop off their recycling material themselves at depots but kerbside collections will be sent to landfill.

Opposition Leader Michael O’Brien said Victoria’s recycling system was in “absolute crisis”.

“We’re seeing recycling being sent to the tip. That’s not the fault of Victorians that’s the fault of the Andrews Labor government and their failure to fix this problem,” he said.

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/national/victoria/at-least-15-councils-still-forced-to-dump-recycling-in-landfill-20190805-p52e2a.html?ref=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_source=rss_feed

Redigert 05.08.2019 kl 11:45 Du må logge inn for å svare
Kommentatoren
13.08.2019 kl 11:23 1253

Surely a recyclables deposit scheme is a no-brainer?

By Nicola Philp
August 5, 2019 — 11.03pm

There are a growing number of councils calling for Victoria to hurry up and introduce a container deposit scheme in an effort to address part of our recycling and waste crisis. There have been several failed attempts in the last few terms of government to petition for such a scheme, but so far to no avail – why?

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/surely-a-recyclables-deposit-scheme-is-a-no-brainer-20190805-p52e34.html

Chance for growth as recycling ‘on brink’

TESSA AKERMAN
REPORTER
12:00AM AUGUST 6, 201919 COMMENTS

Australia’s recycling industry is at a “tipping point”, warns a major waste management company, amid calls for urgent reform as a second recycling facility has been put out of action.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/nation/chance-for-growth-as-recycling-on-brink/news-story/965fb07989d7df7f6c8f1bd92e9b1753

Recycling crisis: landowners face millions in clean-up costs after SKM collapse

The company, which was wound up on Friday, stockpiled tens of thousands of tonnes of recycling at rented sites

Ben Butler and Josh Taylor
Tue 6 Aug 2019 19.00 BST

Landowners across Victoria are facing a multimillion-dollar clean-up bill after the discovery of tens of thousands of tonnes of previously unknown recycling stockpiled at sites rented by failed company SKM.

On Friday, creditors of SKM Corporate, which leased the sites and is at the centre of a recycling crisis gripping Victoria, obtained orders from the state’s supreme court liquidating the company.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/aug/07/recycling-crisis-land-owners-face-millions-in-clean-up-costs-after-skm-collapse

Scott Morrison to push premiers to improve 'appalling' record on plastic recycling

PM will also seek support for Coalition’s deregulation program, along with vocational education reforms

Sarah Martin Chief political correspondent
Wed 7 Aug 2019 19.00 BST

Scott Morrison will seek agreement from the states to take more action on plastic recycling when premiers meet in Cairns on Friday for the first Coag meeting since the election.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/aug/08/scott-morrison-to-push-premiers-to-improve-appalling-record-on-plastic-recycling

Recycling

Australia will ban export of recyclable waste 'as soon as practicable', PM vows

State environment ministers will consult industry to develop a timeline to improve the recycling system

Australian Associated Press
Fri 9 Aug 2019 07.31 BST

The prime minister has vowed to do more to tackle plastic waste in the world’s oceans, saying the export of waste plastic, paper, glass and tyres will be banned.

Scott Morrison said only about 12% of materials are properly recycled in Australia and he wanted that to change. With state and territory leaders, he has laid out a plan for environment ministers to improve the recycling system.

“There will be no export of plastics and paper and glass to other countries where it runs the risk of floating around in our oceans,” he said in Cairns after a Council of Australian Governments (Coag) meeting on Friday.

“This stuff won’t change unless you say: ‘There’s going to be a point in time where you’re not going to be able to put this stuff in a ship and send it off to someone else.’

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/aug/09/australia-to-ban-export-of-recyclable-waste-as-soon-as-practicable-pm-vows

Container deposit push builds

August 13, 2019
Eve Lamb

https://www.midlandexpress.com.au/container-deposit-push-builds/
Redigert 13.08.2019 kl 11:44 Du må logge inn for å svare
Kommentatoren
21.08.2019 kl 17:25 1147

Recycling

How will a domestic waste recycling industry work in Australia?

Despite the prime minister’s pledge, there are plenty of challenges facing the country’s waste recovery efforts

Sarah Martin
Tue 13 Aug 2019 19.00 BST

Scott Morrison has vowed to take action on Australia’s recycling crisis, flagging creating a domestic industry and an end to exporting waste.

The prime minister is concerned that only 12% of the plastic that Australians put into their kerbside bins is being recycled, and is “angry” the public is being let down.

“The promise to them is being broken and we have to keep that promise,” he said on Tuesday.

The 12% figure is included in a report by the environment department and Blue Environment Pty Ltd last year, which outlines the challenge facing Australia’s waste recovery efforts

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/aug/14/how-will-a-domestic-waste-recycling-industry-work-in-australia

How recycling is actually sorted, and why Australia is quite bad at it

August 13, 2019 4.16pm EDT

Recycling in Australia used to be fairly simple. Our older readers may remember bottle drives, paper and cardboard collections, and the trip to the scrap metal merchant to sell metals.

This is called, in recycling parlance, sorting the “streams”. It creates very clean recycling that requires little sorting at a plant.

But recycling got more complicated. As councils organised kerbside collection, it made less economic sense to sort at the kerb. Instead, trucks collected mixed recycling and took it to centralised sorting facilities.

The materials also changed, with glass often replaced by plastics. Plastics like the PET in drink bottles and HDPE in milk bottles were easy to separate and had a ready recycling market.

Then, when developing countries like China opened the floodgates to paper and plastics, there was no need to separate the seven categories of plastics. It was cheaper and easier for Australian companies to bundle it all up and send it to China for “recycling” – in 2017, some 600,000 tonnes.
When China found they were the world’s dumping ground they shut the door and demanded only clean, separated plastics – and then only the ones that had a secondary market in China.

Suddenly Australia was expected to separate more carefully – and this cost money. Now the federal government has pledged A$20 million to boost Australia’s recycling industry.

But what is Australia’s recycling industry?

Right now, there are 193 material recovery facilities in Australia. Most are hand-sorted; nine are semi-automated, and nine are fully automated. These are nowhere near sufficient to sort Australia’s annual recycling.

https://theconversation.com/how-recycling-is-actually-sorted-and-why-australia-is-quite-bad-at-it-121120
Redigert 21.08.2019 kl 17:33 Du må logge inn for å svare
Kommentatoren
12.09.2019 kl 21:24 983

Tomra er veldig tilstede i Australia og opererer pantesystemer både i New South Wales og Queensland. Pantesystem kommer også i Western Australia. Her får vi vite at det også ser ut til å være et digert potensial for Tomra Sorting Solutions markedsledende sorteringsteknologi når Australias politikere nå ser ut til å måtte ta ansvar for avfallskrisen i nasjonen "down under". Dette vil også gi store inntekter hvis de rette grep tas.

Australia could reap $328m a year if it treated recycling waste like coal – report

Calls for world-class recycling systems to replace current one, which makes just $4m a year due to contamination in co-mingled recycling bins

Australian Associated Press
Thu 12 Sep 2019 01.03 BST

If Australia treated recycling waste like iron ore or coal the nation could be $300m better off each year, a report has found.

Instead, Australia makes just $4m a year from recycling due to high levels of contamination in co-mingled recycling bins.

The report from EY estimates Australia could generate up to $328m worth of recyclable material each year if world-class recycling systems are implemented.

“We must start realising and treating our waste as a tradeable commodity, like iron ore or gold, rather than just waste,” said EY Climate Change and Sustainability Partner, Terence Jeyaretnam.

How will a domestic waste recycling industry work in Australia?
Read more
“The old way of sorting our waste is not the right fit for 21st century Australia.

“Not only does it lead to poor environmental outcomes, it’s preventing us from grasping an opportunity worth hundreds of millions per year.”

Australia’s current co-mingled method of recycling is reducing the value from a typical kerbside bin to as low as $2 a tonne.

The report found Australia could get as much as $156 a tonne if the recycling was sorted better.

For example, a high-density polyethylene milk bottle collected as mixed plastic waste has a market value of $110 a tonne – well short of the market value for clean bottles at $500 a tonne.

“Contamination rates in Australia average between four and 16% of collected recyclable material,” the report says.

“These high contamination rates are a key reason why countries across Asia closed their doors to Australia’s waste.”

Australia’s recycling industry is in crisis after several overseas countries stopped taking Aussie waste, and local processors were unable to keep up with demand.

Major player SKM Recycling collapsed owing millions of dollars after regulators shut down some of its processing plants and it was no longer able to send recycling overseas.

Victorian councils are currently paying to send recycling straight to landfill rather than getting it processed.

The EY report recommends better education about contamination, making it more convenient to recycle, improving sorting and developing new markets for recyclable materials.

The prime minister, Scott Morrison, has vowed to do more to tackle plastic waste in the world’s oceans, promising to ban the export of waste plastic, paper, glass and tyres.

Morrison said only about 12% of materials are properly recycled in Australia and he wants that to change.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/sep/12/australia-could-reap-328m-a-year-if-it-treated-recycling-waste-like-coal-report
Kommentatoren
01.10.2019 kl 14:26 848

Er det noe jeg er sikker på så er det at pantesystem kommer til å bli innført i den australske delstaten Victoria. Da er Tomra klar. Tomra som opererer pantesystemer med stor suksess i delstatene New South Wales og Queensland og er klar for å legge inn anbud når det gjelder den nært forestående anbudsprosessen for pantesystemet i Western Australia som skal være oppe og gå 1.juni 2020.

Som dere kan lese i denne artikkelen, er det nå totalt kaos når det gjelder resirkulering i Victoria. Dermed er det nok ikke bare i pantesystem Tomra ser potensial her. Som soleklar global markedsleder innen teknologi for sortering for resirkulering (ca. 60% global markedsandel) med meget sterk tilstedeværelse i Australia, er følelsen helt klart at Tomra også får hendene fulle når det gjelder storskala avfallhåndtering i Victoria, og i Australia forøvrig også, for deen saks skyld.

Recycling in tatters, as some councils give up on glass collection

ABC Ballarat By Sarah Jane Bell
Posted about 4 hours ago

Councils across Victoria have been left to fight the war on waste from the frontline while the State Government works towards a consistent recycling policy.

Since the collapse of contractor SKM Recycling in August, councils across the state have worked individually to implement a range of measures.

The result? A significant amount of recyclable materials ends up in landfill.

Moyne Shire Council's director of infrastructure Trevor Greenberger said if you added up all council waste across the state it would probably be in the hundreds of thousands of tonnes.

"At the moment some councils are basically taking the matter into their own hands because the State Government is taking some time to make some decisions," Mr Greenberger said.

For the Moyne Shire's local government area, a possible solution is on the cards.

The council has voted to introduce a fourth bin for glass in December, establishing a similar trial to those happening in the City of Yarra and Macedon Ranges Shire.

"We actually have a local roads contractor who is looking to use glass in its road making, so they're actually going to receive our glass for a six-month trial," Mr Greenberger said.

Other councils are still sorting through the recycling dramas that were exacerbated last year when China stopped accepting exported recyclables from Australia.

Curbing kerbside waste

This week Ballarat City Council implemented a new rule for residents — removing glass from kerbside recycling.

Mayor Samantha McIntosh said the new contractor would not accept glass in the recycling bin due to the possibility it could shatter and contaminate the other recyclable materials, lessening the value.

Instead, ratepayers have been asked to take glass to eight drop-off sites around the city, or put it into landfill.

"If we were to add an extra bin and do an extra pick up from the home it would be an extra $4 million hence an extra $80 on average to each of the ratepayers," she said.

The decision received backlash on social media, with many people concerned that asking more of residents would lead to a step backwards in waste management — ending with more material in landfill.

For now, the glass collected by council will be stockpiled.

Councillor McIntosh said there had already been interest from the business community looking at new opportunities and uses for the glass.

"We are also working with our community from an education perspective … really encouraging people to be creative with the glass product they do have in their homes," she said.

Councillor McIntosh said the council had looked for a way to continue recycling without adding an extra expense to the community.

"It's a very difficult thing to introduce change of such a degree. It would be much better to have a State Government policy that ensures our whole state is aligned and has the same process," Councillor McIntosh said.

"I understand people have concerns when different municipalities have different rules.

"What we know is that the rules that have been in the past have not been good enough."

Call for consistency

The call for a consistent approach appears to have been heard by the Andrews Labor Government, which is currently working towards a broader approach to waste management.

A government spokesperson said they were working with local government and industry on a major overhaul of kerbside collection to reduce contamination and make it easier to recycle.

"We're also achieving what we set out to do through our $10 million loan, getting the former SKM sites cleared so council collections can resume," the spokesperson said.

However, for the Municipal Association of Victoria the critical step remained the need to introduce a container deposit scheme and for more recycling infrastructure in regional areas.

President Coral Ross said the state should also be focused on driving demand for recycled materials.

"We very much hope the state's circular economy policy and action plan will include a commitment to introduce a container deposit scheme in Victoria," she said.

Waste Management and Resource Recovery Association of Australia CEO Gayle Sloan said she understood councils were under pressure to take immediate action, but a long-term approach was needed to provide residents with consistency.

"It's really admirable that councils are trying to clean up the stream … and address their local issue for their community, but we actually need a bigger look at the full supply chain and the market," Ms Sloan said.

"I think it needs consistency across the state, strong contracts that include offtake arrangements where councils buy back the product they put in the bins and efforts to create market demand and certainty."

Ms Sloan added a lack of policy leadership was the downfall.

"[The State Government] need to work on policies, not necessarily just money, because we need structural changes and policies such as requirement to buy recycled products at all levels of government, so we can grow demand for this industry and ideally jobs in rural areas," she said.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-10-01/recycling-in-tatters-as-ballarat-council-gives-up-on-glass/11559402